Mandate Of The Agency
The National Information Technology Agency was established to implement government’s ICT policy initiatives and regulate ICTs. An Act, Act 771 was passed to mandate it to regulate ICT and to offer related services.
The object of the Agency as mandated by the Act (section 2) is to;
- Regulate the provision of information communications technology.
- Ensure the provision of quality information communications technology
- Promote standards of efficiency.
- Ensure high quality of service.
It is also to implement and enforce the provisions of this Act, the Electronic Transactions Act, 2008 (Act 772) and regulations made under the Act among others (section 3.1d).
- Perform the functions of the certifying Agency established under the Electronic Transactions Act, 2008 (Act 772)
- Implement and monitor the national information communications technology policy;
- Issue licences under this Act and ensure fair competition among licence holders;
- Implement and enforce the provisions of this Act, the Electronic Transactions Act, 2008 (Act 772) and regulations made under the Act;
- Monitor, enforce and ensure effective compliance with conditions contained in licences and tariffs;
- Maintain registers of licences and applications for licences;
- Maintain registers for approvals given for equipment under the Electronic Transactions Act, 2008 (Act 772);
- Provide access to registers for licences, applications for licences and approvals for equipment except where commercial confidentiality does not allow for access;
- Collect fees and other charges to be paid to the Agency under this Act;
- Investigate and resolve disputes between licence holders under the Electronic Transactions Act referred to the Agency by licence holders;
- Investigate complaints by users who fail to obtain redress from a licence holder;
- Carry out investigations on the conduct of persons at the Agency’s own initiative or at the request of another person to determine whether any person is engaging in acts contrary to the provisions of this Act;
- Establish quality of service indicators and reporting requirements that apply to licence holders under the Electronic Transactions Act;
- Ensure the systematic implementation of national information communications technology policy;
- Issue and publish on their website and in the Gazette the necessary guidelines and standards;
- Obtain from persons the necessary information for the performance of its functions;
- Carry out investigations and determine complaints that involve anti-competitive, price-fixing and unfair trade practices by persons under the Electronic Transactions Act;
- Formulate the strategy of the Agency;
- Ensure that the policy directions given by the Minister are implemented;
- Ensure high standards of propriety within the Agency;
- Promote efficiency and effective use of resources and staff of the Agency;
- Establish the policy and resource framework for the operations and the overall strategic direction of the Agency;
- Ensure that the principles of good corporate governance are complied with
- Perform any other functions that are necessary to attain the objects of the Agency.